Monday, November 16, 2009

How does dental insurance work?

ok, here I go again, my insurance says : Type I dental expenses 100% no deductible


Type II 90% after deductible *only one deductible applies if Type II and Type II expenses are incurred, Type III 60 % after deductible. It says I have 1500 dlls max.





Now 10 points to whoever answers these questions: What the hell does this mean? I am new at this so please be gentle, what happens when the 1500 dlls are spent, what if I need more dental work and I don't have more insurance money?. Thanks.

How does dental insurance work?
Well, this is worth more than 10 points because it is more complicated than Chinese arithmetic.





Type 1 expenses usually include: cleanings, exams, x-rays, and other diagnostic and preventative services.





Type 2 usually includes: fillings, root canals, extractions, periodontal treatments..





Type 3 usually includes: crowns, bridges, dentures.





So, you visit the dentist twice per year and have cleaning, exam, and x-rays each time. If your dentist's fees fall within the insurance company's "usual and customary (UCR)" rates, you have no out of pocket. The deductible is waived.





Also, in the same year, you need some fillings, a root canal and a crown. Your insurance will pay 90% of their UCR on the fillings and root canal and 60% of the crown AFTER the deductible. But once your insurace pays $1500 for the year, no more will be paid out for ANY service, including cleanings.





If you need more work done, you are paying for it out-of-pocket. Your maximum is individual - that is, if you have others in your family covered, they each have their own $1500 and deductible to pay.





That's a basic explanation, but there are all kinds of clauses and limits in your plan which I don't know about. Dental insurance is complicated stuff and after years of working with it, I still get surprised every now and then.
Reply:I've been a dental assistant for 20 years and I still ask my self the same question all the time. But let me try and answer what I do know.


Most people have like a $25 - 100 deductible which needs to be payed once a year if treatment is done in that year. Most insurances will pay 80 - 90 % on minor work like fillings and extractions, 100% on preventative like exams and cleanings, about 80 % on root canal treatments and about 50 % on mayor like crowns and partl's and dentures. A max of $1500 is pretty good. And it means they will pay up to $1500 a year on their share. If you need more work it will be out of pocket. If you need less work the money will not roll over into the next year.


You could also take your money and put it in a savings account. Calculate. I don't know how much your monthly premium is.


And stay away from candy, sweet drinks especially mountain dew and sports drinks. Brush at least twice a day, floss once and don't eat or drink after your last brushing of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net